Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Thwarted

I have to be honest - 45 minutes ago I was feeling great about my day. I was logging how I was spending my time. I was checking things off of a list. I even wandered into a bookstore before meeting my friend for dinner and shopping (which was unsuccessful, but I'm hopeful for better luck soon in the wardrobe department) and smelled the smell of paper and read snippets of Joyce, Hemmingway, and Faulkner before enjoying farm-to-table goodies with an educational genius. My iPod sent only the best songs, and my day looked like this:
4:53AM - Alarm goes off
5:03 - finally get up
5:03 - 5:24 - shower
5:24 - 5:31 - attempt a new hair style. Fail. Opt for the ponytail option. Do some push-ups to soothe my ego
5:31 - 5:45 - select an outfit. Try on several and settle on one. Do more push-ups. Result is similar
5:45 - 5:58 - cook my egg breakfast, add some kale to my lunch, and apply make up. Rush out the door to catch the...
6:02 - get on the train
6:02 - 6:30 - ride the train. Complete a journal entry to a student, log some ideas for tasks for the day and enjoy a random selection of music that the iPod God sent my way
6:39 - arrive in my office, unload my things and head upstairs
6:45 - 7:15 - make coffee for my coworkers, enjoy my egg sandwich, make myself some green tea, answer some emails, make some copies, and waste some time putzing around on the interwebs
7:15 - 7:45 - teach some kiddos how to sound out words
7:45 - 8:15 - copy 504 paperwork, answer some emails, browse the web looking for motivation
8:15 - 8:30 - work with a co-worker on a joint birthday party (I'm a bit of a big deal in the party department)
8:30 - 9:15 - check in with a fellow SpEducator about their teaching and planning practices
9:20 - 9:40 - draft an email about ManFriend's birthday party (see? Told you. Party planning legend.)
9:40 - 10:30 - update my task list to have a convo with my Uncommon SpEd support person
10:30 - 11:00 - converse with a CSE rep about a student (private, but necessary and important. More so than parties.)
11:00 - 11:30 - have 1/2 of a check-in with my SpEd support person because then I have
11:30 - 12:00ish - lunch duty. The bane of my existence
12:30ish - 12:50 - IVR calls (a waste of time that is required by NYC) while I email and plan. Calling in first-attend dates is mindless
12:50 - 1:10 - review my audit tasks (more Uncommon-y SpEd things - job related, I promise, but super dry)
1:10 - 1:50 - tutor an 8th grader, then problem solve around him with our school social worker
2:00 - 4:00 - Professional development
4:00 - 4:20 check in #2 with my Uncommon support person
4:30 - 5:15 - commute home
5:15 - 5:30 - be home, change into comfortable things (nothing fits anymore) and email ManFriend
5:30 - 6:00 - travel to meet Educator Friend at Chelsea Market
6:00 - 6:15 - Kill time in a bookstore (perfection)
6:15 - 8:30 - spend time eating, drinking, and shopping with Educator Friend (double perfection)
8:30 - 9:ish - ride the subway home, enjoying what the iPod gods send my way
9:20ish - call ManFriend
9:22ish - Tailspin

What a great day, right? I felt great, and really was only missing a good run in the mix of all that happened, but got time with a great friend who I've missed over the past several weeks. I got to smell new books, enjoy the aesthetics of great book stores, boutique-y food shops, and walked in Manhattan in the rain. The music was good, the kids were okay, and the day was productive. Then there was the Tailspin in which I'm currently residing. However, the time-management section of the day was a super-big success, so onward and upwards to tomorrow, when Martha has assigned me the task of Monotasking. Given the 1,000,000 directions my brain is heading in currently, we'll see if I can put my game face on for tomorrow. Huzzah, Thursday!


1 comment: