Saturday, February 5, 2011

Our First Fight

Some of the most epic couples also have the largest arguments.  Elizabeth Taylor received  letters from Richard Burton verbalizing that "... the precious potential of [her] in the next room is the only thing in the world worth living for."  And yet they were tossed from countless hotels for their brawls.  Now my relationship seems to be following suit.  I am sad to say that after an initial 18 months of blind, complete adoration and obsession on a level I had only dreamed of, New York and I are in the throngs of our first fight.

But, as in all fights, I truly believe I'm right here.  I'm the victim, my love under-appreciated and my value in the relationship under-valued.  First, Exhibit A:


Leaving my Long Island City friend's home, I passed this.  Sure, we got a snow day after Snowpocalypse #2, but this was a solid 4 days after the sky opened and dumped upwards of 19 inches on my great city.  And how does New York respond?  Does he comfort me, apologize for the sudden change in climate?  Nope, he does things like this - buries cars to the point where they're unrecognizable.  Someone's shirking their responsibility, here...

Exhibit B:


Not a week later, New York sensed my unhappiness and warmed - just enough to cover itself in a sheet of ice 1/4 inch thick.  This photo was taken in Brownsville on my 6AM walk to school.  How many times did I slip?  5.  Did my coworkers fall?  They did.  And yet New York refused to respond, or truly make the changes I so desired.  Like a small child, taunting their friend with their finger mere inches from their face with "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you..." New York responded with a slight increase in temperature, just enough to literally ice me out.

Even this morning, with no Saturday school, no tutoring in sight, I spent a luxurious morning in my favorite coffee shop (88 Orchard) on the Lower East Side, armed with my Times, an omelet, and no need to budge for hours.  And yet to what did I emerge?  Rain, rain, and more rain, in another half-hearted attempt to give me what I'm asking for.  I was quite literally out in the cold.   

So this is me, waving the white flag.  New York, I love you like none other, and will of course continue to endure any anger you would like to display, by any means you see fit.  I believe that ours is the love of the ages.  However, don't you agree that we were so much better when the winter looked more like this? 



(photo from here.)

Dear  New York, I love you.  I'm sure it's my fault, and I'll fix it.  Just please, please, stop!

1 comment: