Saturday, November 6, 2010

Late (or early?) Beginnings

It's a very foreign idea to me - this blogging business.  I have lovely friends, many of whom Tweet, sign in on FourSquare, and also blog.  I had been considering beginning a blog, usually in times of great vocational distress, dreaming of becoming one of those possibly fictitious bloggers who have become well-read enough to blog for a living.  I imagine myself, waking up leisurely in my Manhattan apartment, enjoying coffee slowly, feeling the excitement but luxurious lack of urgency in my day, pulling out my laptop and spilling my thoughts out onto the world.  The bibliophile in me, however, was always taught that to write for public consumption was to perceive greatness in oneself, which makes me nervous.  I find some solace in the fact that particularly with the great mass amounts of mediums for friends to stalk friends, strangers to judge strangers, and Martha Stewart to bombard my inbox with a paralyzing number of ways I am currently not improving my life but should be, that not even my mother will actually read this.

My general hope is that this blog will simply allow me an outlet for the millions of thoughts that bombard my brain every minute.  I've always had an intense feeling of trepidation about the passing of time.  As a young child, growing up on a farm (hence the name) always meant that to sit still was to waste time that could be spent working.  I hoped that if I just noticed enough, paid enough attention to the details of every day, that I could, in fact, slow time.  As a fake adult I'm not as convinced as I used to be that that is the case, but I do think that noticing the details, taking the time to (cheesey as it sounds) seize the day will allow for a richer, slower passing of time. 

I start with all of that to say that my vision is to use this blog to publicly bookmark for myself ways that I can better take advantage of my time while I live in, in my humble opinion (and the opinion of its almost 19,000,000 inhabitants) the greatest city in the world.  (Trust me, it's true!)  Again, as that small, time-slowing child on the farm I always dreamed of being in New York.  Teach for America brought me to Las Vegas for 2 year after college, which was a lovely adventure for a time.  The love of a man brought me kicking and screaming to Los Angeles for another 3, but I came to visit my brilliant sister, who was studying at Manhattan College in the Bronx every possible second I could.  The plane rides back west were always dreadful, as though I was living my life just to get back.  And now I've been one of the lucky nineteen million to be able to call New York City my home for a full year - and I feel I'm missing a bit.  I have a job I believe in as a teacher in Brownsville, and that consumes so much of my time and energy, but there is always room for more. 

In the spirit of no longer wasting time, around 2AM I was turning restlessley, unable to return to sleep and decided - why not?  No time like the present!  So I got up, got some water, organized my closet, and started my blog!  Hey, if my middle school academics can do it, I'm up for the challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment